Funding for Therapy and Counselling

Under the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 (RHPA) each regulated health profession’s College is required to establish a program to provide funding for therapy and counselling for clients who were sexually abused by registrants of that College. The Client Relations Committee determines eligibility and administers the fund.


A person is eligible for funding when there is a finding by the College’s Discipline Committee that the person (while a client) was sexually abused by a registrant.

Available Funding

The maximum funding available to each applicant is established by the RHPA and is equivalent to the amount that the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) would pay for 200 half-hour sessions of individual out-patient psychotherapy with a psychiatrist. This funding amounts to approximately $16,000 per person and is accessible over a five-year period. Under the RHPA, the funding provided is reduced by the amount that OHIP or a private insurer is willing to pay.

Choice of Counsellor/Therapist

Applicants are free to choose any therapist or counsellor to provide treatment, as long as the therapist or counsellor is not a relative and has not been found guilty of sexual abuse. However, if the therapist or counsellor is not a member of a regulated health profession, they are not subject to professional discipline by The College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) or any other health regulatory body.

Applicants can access the fund for more than one therapist or counsellor if they so choose. The funds are paid directly to the chosen therapist or counsellor for treatment provided.

How to Apply

Applicants must submit an application form to CMTO. You will be asked to keep confidential any information about your application.

Completed applications should be mailed to:
Client Relations Committee
College of Massage Therapists of Ontario
1867 Yonge Street, Suite 810
Toronto, ON
M4S 1Y5

If you have further questions please contact Pauline Walters, Director, Professional Conduct, at 416-489-2626 or 1-800-465-1933 extension 116.